Signs & Symptoms
Signs That May Indicate Your Child Has a Developmental Delay or Autism
Children with developmental delays display symptoms of autism differently, but there are common features. For example, when the child engages in self-stimulatory behavior excessively instead of interacting with the environment around them in appropriate ways.
Examples include the following:
- Appearing to misunderstand or ignore verbal communication
- Watching the same 30 seconds of a video over and over again
- A complete lack of expressive communication by 2 years of age
- Touching ones own eye-ball to distort images
- Repetitive fidgeting with fingers or toes
- Lack of eye contact with anyone
- Repetitive vocal utterances
Symptoms Associated with Developmental Delays or Autism
These are similar to the behaviors listed above, except a few other things should be noted:
- Development appears normal until about the age of 18 months; this often includes the rapid loss of skills that were acquired up to 18 months
- Any scientific research conducted on the co-relation between vaccines and autism has debunked the 1990s study that claimed a tie to vaccines
- The chances of having another child with autism after you’ve had one will go up exponentially
Treatment for Symptoms
Treatment for the above-listed symptoms can initially begin through the use of ABA therapy. Over time, as prerequisite skills for playgroups, social groups, and school development, a gradual transition toward these activities is made through a well-designed series of transition programs designed by a BCBA in collaboration with respective settings and the activities described above.
When A Child Should Start Receiving Treatment
The best answer to this is the sooner the better! The best results are achieved when the child begins receiving treatment as early as 2 years of age. ABA therapy is beneficial for all ages, but its most profound effects occur with younger children between the ages of 2 and 7. Children are typically eligible for services until at least 18 years of age.
Related Articles & Blogs...
Learn about facts and figures related to Autism
Studies from professionals have revealed causes, facts, and figures related to autism…..Read More
Children with Autism & Hypersensitivity- Tips to Help Communicate
Some children with autism suffer from Sensory Processing Disorder where messages from their senses do not get regulated properly……Read More