Different Therapies for Autism
When parents realize that their child has autism, coping with the reality is often difficult. They fear for their child’s future and whether or not he or she can handle the world as a normal person would. Just remember, however, that history is painted with great men and women who are autistic, such as Emily Dickinson, Benjamin Franklin, and Isaac Newton. So instead of wallowing on how and why it happened to your child, you should focus all of your time and energy in providing him or her with the best treatment for autism available.
The Best Treatment for Autism
1 in every 68 children in the US is diagnosed with autism. This means countless parents are considering autism treatment as we speak. If your child has this kind of condition, here are some autism treatment options that you can consider:
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- ABA Therapy
- Social Skills Classes
- Hippotherapy through horseback riding
- GFCF Diet
- Psychiatrist/Psychologist sessions
- Mainstream Schooling
- Vision Therapy
Early Intervention Treatment for Autism
Early intervention autism treatment is crucial in addressing the condition in the early stages to achieve the best results. Years of scientific study and research on autism have concluded that there are indeed benefits in early intervention, which can lead to an improvement in learning, communication, and social skills in young children with autism.
The two popular early intervention methods include the Lovass Model based on Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and the Start Denver Model. Parents and medical professionals also identify success with other popular behavioral autism therapies such as Floortime, Pivotal Response Therapy, and Verbal Behavior Therapy. Normally, early intervention therapy will follow the below process:
- The child is given designed, therapeutic activities with a set number of hours per week
- Only autism specialists and professionals will provide the intervention. This usually involves a team from different disciplines including physicians, speech-language pathologists, and occupational therapists.
- The therapy follows an accurate and well-defined learning goals with regular evaluation on the child’s progress.
- It is centered on the key areas impacted by autism, which includes social skills, language and communication, motor skills and daily living.
- The child can interact with his developing peers.
- Actively involves parents both in the entire program
Discover the Best Autism Treatment for Your Child
It is important to note that every autistic child is unique and the best autism treatment ideal for every child in different parts of the autism spectrum will vary. An effective autism treatment that works wonders for one child on the spectrum may not do the same for another child with different developmental needs. Finding the best therapy and treatment that works best for your own child is therefore key. Asking autism experts on the best autism treatment options available specifically for your child is ideal. It is also important that you build relationships with other parents with children like yours to get a deeper perspective of the condition.